Thursday, January 30, 2014

My Old Hot Rod

What really is a hot rod? An old American car built to run fast? You see, what qualifies as a hot rod is still controversial even among the most hard core hobbyists. But if there is one common denominator that all hot rodders would agree on, is that, it's a car that is never finished, always under construction.

I first saw it parked on a driveway in Glendora, a 68 Mercury Monterey. It was in a pretty bad shape. Rust all over, cracked windshield, totally messed up dashboard, seats and headliners and was not running at all. But there's something in that car that made me start contemplating on buying it...But then, what will I do with it? Who will rebuild the motor? Will it fit in my garage? What about the brakes? Does it stop? Who will do the paint job? How much will I spend? Do I have enough money to restore it? While all those questions are still lurking on my mind, I suddenly found myself bargaining with the owner as I always do.  $800 later, it was a deal, called a flatbed truck, and brought it home.

Car had been so ugly, the homeowner’s association want me to get rid of it. But I kept it in my garage and with an artistic mind, I started visualizing the finished project. I can't wait till it's done. Sometimes I would just sit in my garage looking at it, thinking how good it would be to drive it when it's all done. Who wouldn't want to drive the coolest car in the neighborhood anyway?

As I started working on the car, I began thinking about my life. Who I was. Looked at the car, and saw myself in that big old Mercury. Where was I a few years back. Then it hit me. It's just disgusting. I was worse than most people think I was. I was just full of myself, and full of pride, my attitude, my evil desires, my dishonesties and my pretentions. A double life perhaps with too much inconsistencies.

But that was the past. I've been different from who I was. Yes I am still that same jolly person who loves to make people laugh. But something changed. What happened? Was it just a sign of maturity? Overhauled by experiences in life? Or was there really something far deeper than that?

It took a couple years before I was able to finally drive my hot rod. Two long years, of restoration, but worth the wait. Now it's a beautiful two-toner, bright yellow and white, and arguably the loudest car around. It gets the same attention on a cruise night, just as it does on gas stations. People honk to give me a thumbs up. Yes, it's now a nice, clean hot rod.

With so much rough edges in my life, I struggle to keep my life straight and to keep my testimony as a witness for Christ. Many times however, I fail, and realize how much inconsistencies I still have in my life. But I can honestly say that I’ve gone so far from who I was before.

My car had been restored. But is it really done? Not really. With so much time, effort and money spent on it, it's still is an old car. Well, the tranny leaks, the clutch slides, AC doesn't work and it handles like a semi. The gas gauge is dead, and so is the AM radio. But then again who needs a radio when exhausts are too loud anyway. Truth of the matter is, it sometimes sucks to drive an old car. You'll never know when it will die on you, so you got to be ready with your triple A and cell phone all the time just in case it decides to pull over by itself.

While others see a cool cruiser, I still see the imperfections. Sounds familiar? Modesty aside, people think I'm a nice guy. People at church think I'm a very spiritual person. But am I really that kind of person a lot of people think? Maybe yes to some. But then again, who really sets the standard? Maybe I'm just like my car, externally cool, but internally bad. Then I realized, no, I have changed a lot. I no longer had a broken wind shield, interior has been redone, and no longer have most of those rust spots in me. I've been restored, but just like my hot rod, still under construction.


God is really good. Just like my car when I first saw it, on its way to the junk shop, so was I. I was rotting and dead, a useless piece of junk, but He bought me with more than anybody can afford, His precious blood. Then He gave me life. Why? I don't know. He loves me, period. Nothing more, nothing less. And all He sees are potentials in me.


God only wants what's best for me. Just like an auto body mechanic, He burns the rust away, to replace it with new metal. Piece by piece, all for my own good. But does it hurt to get burned? You bet. Does He require perfection? No, but He wants holiness, consistency and maturity.

My hot rod is not perfect....and so am I. But one thing I'm certain of, God is not finished with me yet. And He will not stop sanding my imperfections, until I become what He wants me to be. 

     It may not be the perfect hot rod, but it sure is fun to drive, and I'm always looking forward for the weekend for a nice cool drive. Another day to drive my not so perfect car. Under construction, but getting there. To God be the glory

No comments:

Post a Comment